Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Parlez-vous français



Saturday was the opening of my first solo show in Europe. It is being held in the city of Rouen at Le Rêve de l’escalier for the month of October… so if you are in the area please do pop past to say bonjour Michel (the lovely owner) and have a look at the show.

On Saturday Michel informed me that the Paris Normandy Newspaper had heard about my exhibition and was requesting to interview me for the paper. I ofcourse said yes, what an honour. Michel later informed me that Philippe (the journalist) did not speak English… Uh oh… with no translator available aka ma soeur, I went along today with the hope of explaining my artistic practice with my rather basic French vocabulary.

Luckily it turned out that Philippe could speak English so we managed to understand one another very well. He was very impressed with my French… and he said so too, in-between a few chuckles here and there. We had a coffee, (moi un café au lange et il un cafe grandes crème) and talked about photographers, influences, shows, cameras, photographs etc. We then headed back to the space to have another look at the show and so Philippe could take my photograph for the paper eeek!
What a wonderful day!

Now… I'll ask again, parlez-vous français???

Here is my artist statement en français… but if you cheat and use google translate it will ofcourse make no sense… goodluck!

J’ai toujours eu le désir de revenir en arrière, aux grandes époques du passé que me semblent mieux correspondre à ma personnalité et ma mentalité. Depuis mon enfance, le romantisme de ces époques a toujours occupé mon imaginaire. Ma pratique de la photographie me permet de visualiser et d'explorer les sentiments associés au désir, la perte, l’isolation (physique et temporelle) et la mélancolie. Mes travaux sont des métaphores symboliques et des narrations romantiques qui communiquent la beauté, la douleur, le silence et l’immobilité des souvenirs. Ma recherche sur les procédés alternatifs de la photographie, comme les techniques utilisées au 19eme siècle ou le Polaroid, renforce l’influence du passé sur mes œuvres et je l'utilise comme un véhicule pour explorer les rapports sujet/photographe. Il s'agit pour moi d'une relation d’égalité, je vois le sujet au lieu de le regarder comme un objet; je cherche à m’identifier à lui, à le comprendre, le mettre à l’aise. Cela me permet de capturer intuitivement des moments éphémères ou une beauté qui autrement resteraient cachés. Mes œuvres sont des miroirs, des réflexions de la mémoire, des façons de voir.

No comments:

Post a Comment